[cfe-dev] clang, libc++, libc++ABI & MacOSX 10.6

Jonathan Sauer jonathan.sauer at gmx.de
Fri Dec 21 00:59:47 PST 2012

Hello,

> 1) If I start using the frameworks and libs in the 10.6 SDK to build full-blown mac applications, am I going to have problems with mixing two std library implementations in a single process?

As long as you only use C- or Objective-C-based frameworks and libraries, in my opinion you should be
good to go, as they won't use the C++ standard library. I am using Cocoa, OpenGL and some other
frameworks plus 10.6's libiconv in my application together with libc++ on 10.6 without a hitch.

Mixing libc++ and libstdc++ on the other hand *will* result in problems. In fact I just spent several
hours yesterday tracking down a crash that resulted from me accidentally linking against libstdc++
(it was exception-related).

> 3) Am I going to have any limitations on the C++11 functionality on 10.6? For instance, based on previous conversations on this list, I don't expect 'thread_local' to ever work on 10.6. Are there any other such features that have no chance of working on 10.6?

I cannot comment on thread_local as I haven't had any use for it and according to the status page clang
doesn't even support it (yet), but I've been using clang, libc++ and C++11 on 10.6 for several years now
without any problems (modulo above crash). Generally speaking, functionality that doesn't require specific
OS support should be no problem.

HTH,
Jonathan