[cfe-dev] [LLVMdev] RFC: Change tests to run with fixed (not-host dependent) triple

Chandler Carruth chandlerc at google.com
Sat Dec 1 01:06:41 PST 2012

On Fri, Nov 30, 2012 at 8:04 PM, Chris Lattner <clattner at apple.com> wrote:

> I'm ok with this in principle, but how about with the nuance that some
> tests (eg test/codegen) explicitly opt into march=native?

I'd really like the default behavior to be something that forces the test
to either be independent of the targeted triple, or explicitly set a
target. I like the default being unknown.

I wonder, would the ability to run the entire test suite with all of the
'default' triples (that lit sets to unknown in normal runs) instead set to
the host, or to a specific triple maybe be a useful extra form of checking?
This would let both humans and build bots find bugs and discrepancies
specific to a particular target.

We could even have a common test target that build bots use which runs all
the tests both in the default, and in the host-triple mode so that we force
people to converge on target independent tests or explicit triples.