[cfe-dev] Calling clang packagers: Do you install libclang & the python bindings?

David Röthlisberger david at rothlis.net
Wed Aug 22 22:31:13 PDT 2012

If you are the maintainer of the clang package for one of the major
OSs/distros:

1. Does your clang package install libclang and the python bindings†?

2. If not, is it because of anything that needs to be changed/added in
  clang's Makefiles/CMakeLists.txt?

The reason I ask: Tools like clang_complete‡ require libclang & the
python bindings. clang_complete solves this problem by shipping its own
copy of the libclang python bindings. I think this is less than ideal.
How do you guarantee that the bindings match the system's libclang, for
one.

I have only checked on a handful of systems, but none of them have the
python bindings:
* Fedora 17's clang package installs /usr/lib/llvm/libclang.so but no
  python bindings.
* On OS X, macport's clang-3.1 package installs
  /opt/local/libexec/llvm-3.1/lib/libclang.dylib and some scan-view
  python files but not the libclang python bindings.
* On my (ancient) Debian 4.0 system, the clang (2.7) package doesn't
  include libclang at all.
* The corresponding clang-devel packages also don't install the python
  bindings.

† bindings/python/clang in the clang source tree
‡ https://github.com/Rip-Rip/clang_complete