[cfe-dev] Announcing an official home for tools built on the Clang platform, as part of the Clang project

Chandler Carruth chandlerc at google.com
Tue Aug 14 00:58:05 PDT 2012

Hello everyone!

As you may have noticed with various email and commits going about
recently, we're opening up an official home and structure for developing
developer-facing tools as part of the Clang project.

This is intended to be a place where the community can develop refactoring
tools, analysis tools, and other code-oriented, Clang-based tools that make
writing C, C++, Objective C, and Objective C++ code easy and fun.

I've started seeding documentation about this, currently oriented mostly at
fellow tool developers. As we build a collection of tools, we'll be working
on better user-facing documentation and packaging, but the immediate
pressing need is to get a good place to collaborate on these tools
together, and start building awesome new things.

Documentation: http://clang.llvm.org/docs/ClangTools.html
Repository: http://llvm.org/svn/llvm-project/clang-tools-extra/trunk
Git mirror: http://llvm.org/git/clang-tools-extra.git
Getting started: http://clang.llvm.org/get_started.html

I've added one of the tools that we built here at Google when initially
developing this framework as an example of how tools in this tree should be
structured. It's not the best tool, but it is simple and a good starting
point. The build systems (both Makefiles and CMake) have been updated so
that the extra repository should just work when dropped in the right place.

We're hoping to get several more tools that have already started to be
developed by the community moved into a new home here. However, we're still
ironing out the exact criteria for accepting tools into the Clang project.
I want to emphasize -- this separate repository is a technical division to
enable thinner checkouts of Clang when that is useful. This is not a new or
separate project, it is very much part of the Clang project and community,
and is being run by the same community. =]

Now, it's your turn. We'll have official criteria posted soon, but please
feel free to start thinking about and discussing tool ideas. Start
contributing to the existing tools and the tooling framework. Sign up for
the commit list and watch for progress as we start building the tools
developers have wanted for C++ for over two decades. In particular, if
anyone is really interested in helping organize and improve our
documentation, please send patches.

Happy coding!
-Chandler

PS: I want to thank Manuel for doing the lion's share of the work to get us
here, building most of the tooling infrastructure, and getting it
contributed back to Clang. I'd also like to thank Doug for putting up with
all of our code reviews, and all his work on Clang in general, building it
into this amazing open source community. There are so many others that have
helped get us here as well: Zhanyong Wan, Craig Silversteen, *all* the
Clang devs, Marcin Kowalczyk, Marshall Clow, Daniel Jasper, James Dennett
and probably a bunch of other people I'm forgetting. Not to mention Chris
Lattner, who started all of this. Thanks.