[cfe-dev] A template refactoring tool

Manuel Klimek klimek at google.com
Mon Aug 13 06:54:17 PDT 2012

On Thu, Aug 9, 2012 at 12:49 PM, Stephen Kelly <steveire at gmail.com> wrote:
> Chandler Carruth wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Aug 7, 2012 at 1:28 PM, Sean Silva
>> <silvas at purdue.edu> wrote:
>>
>>> Chandler posted this link in #llvm yesterday:
>>>
>>> http://llvm.org/svn/llvm-project/clang-tools-extra/trunk
>>>
>>> I'm not sure if any other announcement has been made.
>>

>> Everyone hang on. =] I wanted to give folks some time to play with it,
>
> Can I request that a CMake only buildsystem is fine for this tooling repo? I
> don't want to have to write and maintain custom Makefiles for 'extra' tools.

The plan is to provide yet another repository (on github) that
basically behaves like extra, but is called 'external'. The idea is
that developers writing their own tools will just fork that, check
their fork out and start hacking away, with all the cool git features.
If a tool provides a solid design a good idea for the use case and
maintenance story, we can then move tools to the extra repository (at
which point we'll need Makefiles).

As long as you're in an external branch, you'll be free to not write
Makefiles for your tools.

> This is not such a central piece of clang that there is any need to maintain
> two buildsystems for it, is it?
>
> In particular, I would want to write a Qt based ui for some tooling, and I
> wouldn't want to maintain a Makefile buildsystem for that (CMake generates
> moc files automatically and ui files easily).

I think that would be a perfect fit for the "external" repository use case.

Cheers,
/Manuel