[cfe-dev] libc++ red-black tree: halving the branches

Philip Ashmore contact at philipashmore.com
Sat Apr 7 05:03:35 PDT 2012

On 07/04/12 03:42, Sean Silva wrote:
> I've got a little bit for everybody:
>
> Howard: I completely understand your points. By no means did I intend
> this code in its current form to get into libc++, it was mostly just
> an experiment. I would not myself advocate this code change without
> clear evidence of a performance win.
>
> Chandler: perf is a really good tool for monitoring this stuff. There
> are a lot of low-level performance considerations, and measuring is
> the only way to really evaluate this kind of change. Also I think
> there are more "macro" optimizations to be made to the rebalancing
> code to reduce branches and branch mispredicts, bringing me to...
>
> Joerg: wow, that code is insane. the author really groks the red-black
> tree algorithms like nothing that I've ever seen before (not even
> CLRS). For example in the insert rebalancing, they put the Case 1
> recoloring in the loop by itself. Case 2 and 3 for are put *outside*
> the loop, which makes so much sense since Case 2 and 3 only execute
> exactly once (if at all), since the tree is balanced after that code
> runs. Also, their use of an array to hold the left and right nodes is
> beautiful! I though I was clever with the pointer-to-members, but the
> array version is simpler, and to boot they can use the result of
> comparisons like (father == grandpa->rb_right) directly to index which
> one to use.
>
> Yet another case in the field of computing where a more-complicated
> solution (pointer to members to determine left and right) has a
> better, simpler solution.
>
> Dave: from the point of view of code understandability, the current
> code is probably about as good as it gets, since it is essentially a
> mirror image in code in the CLRS algorithms book, which to my
> knowledge is where pretty much everybody learns how red-black trees
> work (and uses as a reference for the rb-tree algorithms).
> Unfortunately, the CLRS code is more theoretically oriented and their
> "programming language" for the algorithms lacks many of the more
> powerful capabilities that real computers have, such as dynamically
> choosing offsets for member access. Actually, my original inspiration
> for this was the "else" branch in RB-Insert-Fixup, which simply says
> "(same as then branch but with left and right reversed)".
>
> I have to say, that netbsd red-black tree has really piqued my
> interest. Two other red-black trees I have seen "in the wild"---the
> linux one and the nginx one---also follow the more to-the-book
> implementation like libc++'s; perhaps this is because the netbsd-like
> code has no significant advantage? Or maybe it is simply obscurity of
> this approach? idk, but I think I'm going to end up writing at least a
> couple red-black trees in order to test this.... fun...
If that's not enough fun, have you considered comparing your red-black
tree implementations with other tree implementations, say avl-trees?

I'm on Debian amd64 if you need to run your tests on different hardware.

I'll even give writing the avl-tree performance tests a whirl, once you
show me how you run the perf tests with red-black trees - a tar ball I
can unpack and "make check" with is all I need.

Yes, I've got a vested interest in this - my treedb project in
SourceForge uses avl-trees and I'd like to add red-black-trees in at
some stage :)