[cfe-dev] Adding a CFG node for the allocation call in a new-expression

Jordan Rose jediknil at belkadan.com
Fri Apr 6 11:31:21 PDT 2012

On Apr 6, 2012, at 14:26, Anna Zaks wrote:

> On Apr 6, 2012, at 10:42 AM, Jordan Rose wrote:

>>> What are the issues with calling PreStmt<CXXNewExpr> before evaluation of any statements related to new (except that it's more difficult to implement)? That's what checker writers would expect from the callback.
>>
>> Now that the CFG is linearized, it's hard to know what that means. For a normal call, the arguments are evaluated before the PreStmt<CallExpr> callback, then the call itself is inlined or modelled, then there's the PostStmt<CallExpr> callback. For a CXXNewExpr, though, the CFG looks like this:
>>
>> 1. Evaluate all placement args.
>> 2. CFGAllocation ***
>> 3. Evaluate all constructor args.
>> 4. Evaluate the constructor.
>> 5. Evaluate the CXXNewExpr.
>>
>> It's impractical to put the PreStmt<CXXNewExpr> call before all of that, because that removes the whole effort of a linearized CFG. The constructor args really might not be evaluated until after the allocation, according to the standard, but moving them is impractical since there /is/ a CXXConstructExpr (or similar) inside the CXXNewExpr, and the CFG treats that like any other expression. IIRC, we don't have any other Pre/Post pairs that stretch across multiple CFG nodes.
>>

> If I understand correctly, we want to evaluate the arguments of the constructor before PreStmt<CallExpr>, but it is difficult to do because their evaluation is a part of evaluating CXXConstructExpr, which occurs after CFGAllocation in the CFG. But the following order would be best but difficult to implement. The standard allows evaluation of constructor args before allocation, correct? And the allocation is a part of CXXNewExpr as far as AST is concerned?
> (just trying to understand the issue..)
>
> 1. Evaluate all placement args.
> 2. Evaluate all constructor args.
> 4. Evaluate PreStmt<CXXNewExpr>
> 4. Evaluate PreStmt< CXXConstructExpr >
> 5. Evaluate the constructor.
> 6. Evaluate CXXNewExpr.

The allocation is just the CXXNewExpr in the AST, but the reason the allocation ought to happen /before/ the constructor is so that the constructor can initialize the right region. Right now that doesn't matter since we're just conjuring a symbol, but if we even get to modelling placement new, let alone handling arbitrary allocators or a new region type like Tom mentioned, we're going to need to do better.

>>> Is this needed to allow callbacks on the allocation? Do we have to generalize here or could we just provide a separate callback for it (if someone needs it)?
>>
>> It's certainly possible to add a separate callback; what I'm thinking of, though, is inlining and generic checks. Right now RetainCountChecker implements several callbacks and awkwardly filters them into a single evalSummary. AttrNonNullChecker checks the "nonnull" attribute, which ought to apply to the allocation call as much as anything else. I feel like the majority of call checkers that /don't/ deal with specific functions (i.e. unlike CStringChecker and such) probably need to reason about /every/ sort of call.
>>

> I agree about having a generic pre/post call callbacks. I was not sure why you'd need to have CallOrObjCMessage with no expression. I am guessing the issue is that you don't want to treat CXXNewExpr as one call, but 2 calls: calling the constructor and calling the allocation.  In this case, you don't have an expression associated with an allocation (unless you associate something like CXXNewExpr for example).

Right. And I'm figuring the same infrastructure would be used for destructors (and [[cleanup]] attributes).