[cfe-dev] Clang Microsoft CXX ABI support?

John McCall rjmccall at apple.com
Wed Apr 4 19:00:24 PDT 2012

On Apr 4, 2012, at 12:49 PM, Anton Korobeynikov wrote:
>> Thank you for the responses!
>> I wonder if finishing the Microsoft ABI could be a good GSoC project :)
> I think the "easy" part was covered during that project and hard and
> non-obvious part (vtable layout) left.
> So, it might be too hard for another GSoC project

That project really covered a very small amount of the necessary work;
I'd be happy to have another student continue with it.  Things not yet
implemented include constructors, destructors, member pointers,
derived-to-base conversions that hop virtual bases, RTTI, dynamic_cast,
virtual calls, vf-table emission, vb-table emission, and I'm probably
forgetting a number of other things.  There's also a lot still to be done
with mangling, IIRC.

vf-table layout would be a challenging project, but I don't think it's
unreasonable as a full-summer thing for a student with previous
clang experience.  It also nicely breaks down into sub-projects,
since you can start with the simplest cases (single non-virtual
inheritance, no thunks) and gradually add complexity.

John.