[cfe-dev] Precompiled headers with libclang

Chandler Carruth chandlerc at google.com
Wed Apr 4 02:08:29 PDT 2012

On Wed, Apr 4, 2012 at 11:01 AM, Abhanshu Sharma <abhanshu1 at gmail.com>wrote:

> I am trying to reduce every fraction of second possible. Since there are
> very large of header files, I guess there would be some time getting wasted
> in stat-ing those files. I want clang to assume everything else is constant
> except source file.

Stating is *extremely* fast, and does not have any bearing on the size of
the header file.

Let me emphasize: *extremely* fast. 'git status' stats every single file in
the entire git tree in a tiny fraction of a second.

Do you have a benchmark that clearly shows how much time is spent on 'stat'
here? Are you using a network filesystem that makes stat system calls slow
for some reason?