[cfe-dev] Proposal: parsing Qt signals/slots with attributes

David Chisnall csdavec at swan.ac.uk
Mon Sep 26 04:04:14 PDT 2011

On 26 Sep 2011, at 09:31, Konstantin Tokarev wrote:

> Of course it's possible to live without these things, like Apple's implementation of
> Objective-C could live without all fancy stuff in clang written exclusively for it.

I'm not sure what you mean by this.  There isn't any fancy stuff in clang that is exclusive to Apple's implementation of Objective-C - clang supports the (GNUstep) open source implementation of Objective-C to the same degree that it supports Apple's.

The closest thing that comes to mind is the handling of IBOutlet and IBAction.  These were macros in OpenStep and with clang can expand to attributes, but they have no effect on compilation.

It would help if you could explain what you want to use these attributes for (i.e. why would clang supporting them in the parser help you).  The IBAction / IBOutlet support is there to allow the various ad-hoc Objective-C parsers that understood these macros to continue to understand them when switching to libclang.  What tools does Qt use that need to understand these annotations?

David