[cfe-dev] Passing StructType arguments directly

Sandeep Patel deeppatel1987 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 22 17:47:10 PDT 2011

On Fri, Sep 23, 2011 at 12:34 AM, David Meyer <pdox at google.com> wrote:
> So the question is, how do we represent (in a single bitcode file)
> enough information about the original C types that we can comply with
> both the X86-32 and X86-64 ABIs simultaneously? The answer is we
> can't, with today's bitcode. But by using structs as first-class
> arguments, we do get closer.

Assuming PNaCl will move to other platforms in the future, how will
you handle ABIs that specify behavior in terms on C/C++ types? For
example, the ARM AAPCS-VFP ABI (a.k.a. hard float) covers unions that
would be lowered away by this point in LLVM IR.

You're going to need all of the original C/C++ type information to do
this correct with any hope for migration to other platforms down the
line.

deep