[cfe-dev] Passing StructType arguments directly

Renato Golin rengolin at systemcall.org
Thu Sep 22 16:15:47 PDT 2011

On 22 September 2011 22:25, David Meyer <pdox at google.com> wrote:
> The problem is that we've been forced into a corner where we're
> expected to do both: we need a platform independent representation,
> and we need to satisfy the existing platform ABIs.

Hi David,

Thanks for the long explanation, I think it was really needed.
Target-independent bitcode will be revisited all the time, and it's by
identifying the weaknesses of the current model that we can slowly
walk towards a more generic bitcode.

First, it seems your immediate problem is PCS between NaCl
target-specific bitcode and PNaCl "somewhat different PCS" bitcode.
Let's focus on that prblem...

As you said, that can be solved by recompiling everything your way, so
PCSs match. Is this because the front-end is having different
assumptions (clang with slightly different target)? Or because it's an
entirely different front-end?

Supposing you could match the front-end and parameters, would that
solve your problem? Or would you need a truly independent bitcode for
the shared bits, so you can lower later to different architectures?
(I'm not thinking Intel vs. ARM, here, only different flavours or
Intel).

--
cheers,
--renato