[cfe-dev] ccc-analyzer progression/regression

John Smith lbalbalba at gmail.com
Tue Sep 6 12:35:11 PDT 2011

Hi.

I really love the concept of static analysis, and would like to
contribute somehow. However, I am not a programmer myself, so i was
wondering what i could do to contribute to the ccc-analyzer ?

I have the following idea:

1.) Let clang/ccc-analyzer devs pick a hand full reasonably well known
/ used open source projects
    preferably code bases that the ccc-analyzer devs are at least
somewhat familiar with
2.) Let me run the analyzer on these code bases with the latest trunk
clang/ccc-analyzer
3.) Let me post the results on a website
4.) a while later (some months ?) I could run the latest rev of
clang/ccc-analyzer on the same versions of the chosen codebases again

Then perhaps the differences in the results of running analyzer rev x
on codebase y versus running analyzer rev x+1 on the same code base y
could provide some insight into how well the analyzer is progressing
on real world code bases ?

The core idea here is not to find issues in the latest version of any
particular codebase, but rather to discover progression/regression of
the static analyzer. Of course, this would probably work best if the
code being analyzed are both 'reasonably well/widely used' real word
code bases, and the clang/ccc-analyzer devs are fairly familiar with
these code bases so that they can relatively easily interpret the
(differences in) results.

Just my 2$... Could this be useful ?

Let me know what you think ?

Regards,