[cfe-dev] Chrome/mac is all-clang, all-the-time

Miles Bader miles at gnu.org
Mon Oct 31 13:29:17 PDT 2011

2011/11/1 Konstantin Tokarev <annulen at yandex.ru>:
> Don't you like fast compilation and relevant diagnostic messages?

Of course I do... :)

But I use both, and my impression is that clang's advantages in these
areas are a bit overstated -- in my typical usage, clang seems "a
little" faster, but it's typically on the order of 10% or so (on C++
code with "medium" template usage), and in general, I've found nothing
particularly wrong with gcc's error messages (there are surely extreme
cases where they're confusing, but really that's true for any
compiler).

[I'm not dissing clang, I think it's a cool project.  I also think
it's very healthy to have some real competition in the FOSS compiler
world!]

-miles

--
Cat is power.  Cat is peace.