[cfe-dev] alternate clang driver

Don Quixote de la Mancha quixote at dulcineatech.com
Wed Oct 26 00:46:55 PDT 2011

On Mon, Oct 24, 2011 at 10:59 AM, Ruben Van Boxem
<vanboxem.ruben at gmail.com> wrote:
>. I'm think a BSD-licensed clone/improvement of autotools may have a
> place as an LLVM subproject if good and useful enough (which would be
> extremely hard to do), but not in Clang, period.

autotools is great when it works, but it only works if a POSIX shell
is available, and even then it osten fails quite spectacularly if you
try to use it on a platform that the original maintainer did not
anticipate.

autotools has my vote for the very, very worst Open Source software
there is.  Whenever I encounter a README or INSTALL FILE that says to
just do "./configure ; make ; sudo make install" I feel sick.

ZooLib has never used a command-line driven configuration.  Everything
it needs is taken care of in a C++ header file.  It has never had any
problem at all building on platforms like the Classic Mac OS that had
no shell of any sort.  I've built ZooLib on lots of different
platforms and never had any trouble with it, while I've had no end of
trouble with autotools.

   http://www.zoolib.org/

It is Open Source under the MIT License.

--
Don Quixote de la Mancha
Dulcinea Technologies Corporation
quixote at dulcineatech.com