[cfe-dev] add namespaces to C (in my local clang) OR "tag" a couple of functions

Don Quixote de la Mancha quixote at dulcineatech.com
Fri Oct 21 02:55:02 PDT 2011

I can understand now why you don't want to compile as C++.  But I
suggest you do it anyway from time to time, "When No One Is Looking".
Adding C-Style Casts won't hurt your C.  Several years down the road
you could surprise everyone that your C code suddenly builds as C++.

But a shorter-term possibility is that I understand CLang can be used
to edit C source code in various ways, for example to add
instrumentation for profilers.

Suppose you had the following C+Namespaces source:

namespace Foo {

int getFive( void )
{
   return 5;
}

}

After being preprocessed somehow it would look like:

/* Nothing here - the namespace declaration is gone */

int Foo_getFive( void )
{
   return 5;
}

/* Nothing here either */

You could then compile that is if it was regular C and not C++.

If your namespace declarations were replaced by blank lines, the line
numbers would still work right for source debuggers.

--
Don Quixote de la Mancha
Dulcinea Technologies Corporation
quixote at dulcineatech.com