[cfe-dev] libc++ on Mac OS X 10.6

Jonathan Sauer jonathan.sauer at gmx.de
Mon Oct 10 01:17:05 PDT 2011

>> When trying to use libc++ on a trunk clang on Mac OS X 10.6, I get:
>>
>> /llvm-bin/bin/clang++ temp.cc -stdlib=libc++
>> clang: error: invalid deployment target for -stdlib=libc++ (requires Mac OS X 10.7 or later)
>>
>> This used to work on 10.6. Was there a good reason for breaking this on 10.6, and is there any workaround?
>>
>> I find this disappointing, as I had hoped the next release of clang, with libc++, would provide a good base-line C++0x compiler. However, I would really like not to require 10.7, as I know various people who do not intend to upgrade any time soon.
>
> Sorry about that.  I've updated the instructions for building on 10.6.  Do:
>
> $ export MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET=10.6
>
> prior to ./buildit

That seems to work for libc++. However, the problem persists when building an XCode project on 10.6:

| clang: error: invalid deployment target for -stdlib=libc++ (requires Mac OS X 10.7 or later)

When I change the build variable MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET to 10.7, the project builds, but of course crashes on
startup.

The TOT from last week worked perfectly. Is there a non-political (i.e. not Apple wanting people to ditch 10.6)
reason for this change?

Thanks in advance,
Jonathan