[cfe-dev] Odd piece of Clang 2.1 behaviour

Dallman, John john.dallman at siemens.com
Fri Oct 7 09:26:20 PDT 2011

I'm experimenting with Clang as a replacement for GCC in building my employers'
products, and liking it a great deal. It's the easiest new compiler I've dealt
with in 15 years of porting this code to a wide variety of platforms.

I'm working on Mac OS X 10.7 with the Clang 2.1 from Xcode 4.1, and it's doing
something that I could believe was deliberate, but isn't helpful to me.

Object files are created with permissions of "-rw-------". llvm-gcc-4.2 creates
them in the same setup with permissions of "-rw-rw-r--".

This creates a problem for me, because we have a centralised build system,
running under a special account, and developers working against it need to
link against object files produced by the special account. They are members
of the same group, so permissions of "-rw-r-----" would work fine.

This doesn't seem to be being caused by my umask. Obviously, I can change the
permissions on the .o files once they exist, so it isn't a big problem, but
I was curious if this was deliberate, and if so, why?

Thanks in advance,

--
John Dallman