[cfe-dev] Backend for C and OpenCL

Alberto Magni alberto.magni86 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 5 14:38:16 PDT 2011

Thanks everybody for your replies,

Guoping,
as Tobias has pointed out many of the LLVM analysis and transformation
passes are designed to work on the IR. So I think this is the most natural
choice.

Justin,
I followed the development of the PTX backend and the upcoming full support
is great news.

Tobias,
I don't know yet what kind of optimizations I will work on.
It will depend also on the target architecture.
Polyhedral transformations are a big candidate though (I am reading your PhD
thesis...).
Thank you very much for the runtime trick, I will try it.
As you said one possible drawback is related to the fact that the
specific ABI of the different vendors must be taken into considerations.
Eg. how the kernels in the module are represented (with metadata or name
mangling), address spaces, etc
My goal is to manage this aspects on my own in the simplest possible way
with the
OpenCL->LLVM->OpenCL loop. Taking also into consideration that, as far as I
can see, there is no agreement on how to manage address spaces.

I will keep you updated with the development of the work.

Bye,

Alberto