[cfe-dev] [LLVMdev] Unicode path handling on Windows

Aaron Ballman aaron at aaronballman.com
Mon Oct 3 11:53:36 PDT 2011

On Mon, Oct 3, 2011 at 1:43 PM, Bryce Cogswell <bryceco at gmail.com> wrote:
> However, looking over the FileManager code a little more I'm not even sure
> using the path is the best solution, it seems it would be better to use
> inode like the unix code does. Windows doesn't support inode (the s_ino
> field in stat), but it does have nFileIndexHigh/nFileIndexLow which are
> exposed via ::GetFileInformationByHandle and is basically the same thing.

One question I would have about that is whether stat actually opens
the file under the hood.  GetFileInformationByHandle requires an open
file handle, which could be expensive depending on the situation.  I'd
worry slightly about a performance hit (networks come to mind).  If
the perf is equivalent, then I would agree that nFileIndexHigh/Low
will work well as a Win32 version of the inode.

~Aaron