[cfe-dev] Libc++ locale tests

Ruben Van Boxem vanboxem.ruben at gmail.com
Mon Oct 3 02:11:11 PDT 2011

2011/10/3 Howard Hinnant <hhinnant at apple.com>

> On Oct 2, 2011, at 2:23 PM, Ruben Van Boxem wrote:
>
> > Hi Howard and others,
> >
> > I am struggling to get the locale related tests in libc++ working like
> they should. In attached patch I added a header in the main test directory,
> defining the locale names for Windows and the rest. I replaced all
> occurrences of the name in a test's source code with an include to this file
> and the macro I defined. For every platform != windows, this should come
> down to the same thing. for Windows, I could not use UTF-8 locales, as they
> are unsupported and always return 0 when trying to setlocale or newlocale
> (_create_locale). The patch also fixes a bad #endif placement (if I'm not
> mistaken) in
> localization/locale.categories/category.time/locale.time.get.byname/get_one_wide.pass.cpp
> >
> > The patch fixed exceptions being thrown because of bad locale names, but
> not the test's failures. To compare, I used this test code (freely adapted
> to resemble the true test):
> >
> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/7627445/stdget-time-and-other-locale-functionality-not-working-correctly-on-windows
> >
> > and tried to run the test on MSVC10 and its STL. It compiles, but the
> asserts fail, as all values are 0. GCC 4.6.1+stdlibc++ isn't capable of
> compiling this code: it's missing the function std::get_time for some
> reason. These kinds of unexplained failures are present across the board.
> Their causes seem either unrelated or hidden in the same place in
> locale-code not yet fixed for Windows. The fact remains that MSVC10, which
> has the above function, fails the test, which makes me think the input
> character buffer needs to be in different format.
> >
> > I plan on adding floating point number macros (which create a string with
> the expected format from a base and exponent) to this header as well:
> > FLOAT_MACRO(1234.1234, -56)
> > would become
> > "1234.1234" "e" "-" "56"
> > or
> > "1234.1234" "e" "-" "0" "56"
> > (implicitely letting the compiler concatenate the string literals) or
> whatever depending on what it is on that platform. I think this will solve
> the locale related numerics failures.
> >
> > The attached patch got rid of only two test failures (438 to 436), but as
> I said, at least the locales are being constructed properly, and the
> remaining failures are due to something else now.
> >
> > Ruben
> > <localenames.zip>
>
> platform_support.h appears to be missing.

Fixed patch attached.

There is another point about <[c]stdint[.h]> which is not quite clear to me.
The macros __STDC_FORMAT_MACROS and __STDC_LIMIT_MACROS control macro
definitions in <stdint.h> for C++. C++11 FDIS says that these macros have no
influence for C++, but that's with regards to <cstdint>, not <stdint.h>.

So either <stdint.h> needs to ignore these macros and define everything if
in C++11 mode, or the <stdint.h> test needs to define these before including
<stdint.h>, and libc++ <cstdint> needs to define these macros before it
includes <stdint.h>. Which is it? I doubt C99 <stdint.h> would need
adaptation for C++11... (although I submitted a patch to mingw-w64 earlier
to this effect)

Ruben