[cfe-dev] ***SPAM*** Re: Changing the way Clang's driver computes the library search paths on Linux

Chandler Carruth chandlerc at google.com
Sun Oct 2 23:57:13 PDT 2011

On Sun, Oct 2, 2011 at 11:41 PM, Marc J. Driftmeyer <mjd at reanimality.com>wrote:

> Should not this change include a fs check for
> /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/crt1.o as one of the else if options, not to
> mention the rest of the architectures Debian supports and builds clang
> against?

Currently, I'm trying to get Clang to as closely match the GCC mainline
behavior as I can, without breaking existing distros.

I'm hoping to have time to extend this logic to deal with most distros, if
not all.

Currently, Clang doesn't handle Debian's multiarch setup correctly at all.
I'm going to try to get to this, but its on the bottom of my immediate list
because we don't have any reasonable existing support.

For reference, I specifically checked mainline GCC to see whether it cared
about crt1.o or not, and it didn't. It only cared whether the directory
existed. I've faithfully reproduced that here for better or worse.

Now, keep in mind, I'm currently only poking the library search paths. I'm
also going to look at the code to actually locate crt1.o etc, that's still
to come.