[cfe-dev] Fwd: -Wunreachable-code and templates

Ted Kremenek kremenek at apple.com
Wed Nov 30 00:45:22 PST 2011

Hi David,

Thanks for bringing up this topic.

My concern about approach #1 is that not all analyses are savvy to analyze templates directly, and the CFG itself will be incomplete.  The CFG contains destructor calls and possibly other entities whose specifics are only known when the template is actually instantiated (e.g., a template parameter 'T' may expand to something with a destructor, or it may expand to something like 'int' where no destructor is involved).  The result is that two instantiations may have very different CFGs.  Further, I don't think most analyses would be savvy to reason about such "abstract definitions" of functions.  Uninstantiated templates are really more syntax than semantics, and analyses rely on precise semantic information.

My concern about #2 is twofold.  First, it is potentially very costly.  If you analyze instantiated templates as they stream by, you potentially have to retain all the analysis information in order to fuse them up later to reach the final conclusions.  With a naive implementation, the space overhead of the analysis could grow linearly with the number of instantiations, while a good implementation would incrementally merge the new analysis results for each instantiation into the old one, and then once we finished parsing the translation unit reach the final decisions.  This sound potentially really complex, but I suppose it could be tractable since only few analyses would possibly care about taking this extra step.

My second concern about #2 is that I don't think it is technically correct.  Even if you analyze all N instantiations of a function template, do the dataflow analysis, and conclude that from those N instantiations that a given piece of code was dead, that doesn't mean that if you did a N+1'th instantiation that was different from the others that the block would be guaranteed to be dead.  Basically, proving that a block is dead for the N instantiations in the way you propose doesn't prove that the block is dead in general.

The idea I had to tackle this was a bit simpler, although it could certainly be flawed.  Looking at the results of -Wunreachable-code that you mentioned, the reason we report this code as unreachable is because the edges for the branch conditions in the CFG are intentionally pruned as being trivially satisfiable/unsatisfiable.  Instead of just chopping off the edges completely, we can retain all edges, but mark them as being unreachable for various reasons, e.g. value dependent because of template instantiations or expanded from a macro.

If we retain this information, what you are left with is a CFG that contains both pruned edges (the default view for most clients) but also the "hidden" edges for those clients interested in the complete control-flow as implied by the AST.  There are already some clients that care about getting both the "unoptimized" and "optimized" CFG; this enhancement would collapse the two into the same data structure.  -Wunreachable-code for example could enhance its walk of the CFG to take special attention to these hidden edges and handle them accordingly.  The nice thing about this approach is that it helps marginalize out overly optimistic conclusions on reachable code that were made based on the specific template instantiations that you saw.

The other nice thing about this approach is that it is very simple.  All CFGBlocks currently record a vector of predecessors and successors (each represented as a CFGBlock*), with iterators over them.  We could change those vectors to contain bitmasked pointers representing real edges and pruned edges, with special bits to indicate why an edge was pruned.  We could then add a new successor/predecessor iterator that just skips the hidden edges (the default view for most clients) but then provide an alternate iterator that viewed the hidden edges as well (and means to query them).

What do you think?

Ted