[cfe-dev] Refactoring the dominators patch for Clang

Anna Zaks ganna at apple.com
Mon Nov 28 11:35:07 PST 2011

Hi Guoping,

Thanks for the new patch! Looks good overall. Below are some minor comments.

Comments for the LLVM patch:
1) In include/llvm/Analysis/Dominators.h, use typedef instead of spelling out GraphTraits<FT*> each time it's used.

2) In  include/llvm/Support/CFG.h, use unsigned instead of size_t to be consistent with Function::size().

3) The size function should probably be mentioned in the interface itself llvm/ADT/GraphTraits.h (not only in the template instantiations).

4) Please, send the llvm patch to llvm-commits <llvm-commits at cs.uiuc.edu> list for review.

Comments on the clang patch:
1) I'd rather keep the old high level comments. For example, in Dominators.h we should specify what functionality the class/file provides, not how it's implemented (Specifically, this is an implementation detail: "A wrapper to LLVM dominators implementation"). You can provide implementation details as well, but avoid putting those in headlines. It's also better to use doxygen style comments:
-  /// changeImmediateDominator - This method is used to update the dominator
-  /// tree information when a node's immediate dominator changes.
+  /// \brief This method is used to update the dominator
+  /// tree information when a node's immediate dominator changes.

2) iterator2 is not a very descriptive name :)

3) size_t -> unsigned.

4) There are a few unused APIs in DominatorTree (Ex: splitBlock()). Ideally, we'd want to keep as many of them as possible and just add test cases exercising them. However, you can completely remove some if they don't seem very important; we can always add them in later on.

Thanks!
Anna.