[cfe-dev] RFC: Clang driver redesign

Ruben Van Boxem vanboxem.ruben at gmail.com
Fri Nov 4 14:55:55 PDT 2011

Op 4 nov. 2011 21:51 schreef "Eric Christopher" <echristo at apple.com> het
volgende:

> On Nov 4, 2011, at 1:08 PM, Matthieu Monrocq wrote:
>
>> This would also allow implementing a *sane* option syntax, like for
example a hierarchical option parser:

>> --codegen-stackframe-limit=50
>>
>> Where "stackframe-limit=50" is dispatched to the "codegen" plugin, which
itself dispatch "limit=50kB" to its stackframe object, which sets its
"limit" attribute to 50000 (for example).

> There's one particular set of use cases that this brings up that I'd like
to mention:

> "Less knobs for users to use"
>
> I realize it's an example, and a good way of describing a partial way of
evaluation options, however, the idea behind this option in particular is
something I explicitly don't want to do. I believe we want less knobs, not
more. We don't want the users mucking with things like inlining heuristics,
the size of the stack, and whether they want to unroll 4 loops or 3. These
are the kinds of decisions that the optimizer should be able to handle and
people working on the compiler have their own ways of mucking with these
sorts of options.

Wrong; to successfully build the cellspu tblgen files on windows x64, one
had to increase stack size for tblgen not to crash. I'm quite certain this
use case is far from unique. I do agree hiding low level options casual
users shouldn't know about (although they should be well documented), but
not having it is really shooting yourself in the foot...

Ruben