[cfe-dev] How to test examples / make sure they still build

Óscar Fuentes ofv at wanadoo.es
Tue May 31 18:30:46 PDT 2011

Manuel Klimek <klimek at google.com> writes:

> Today I ran into a problem after checking in a tested example tool
> that the tool is not available when we don't build the examples, thus
> the test broke.
> I then realized that I also had not added Makefile support for the
> example, so I tried to build the examples with autoconf and noticed
> they were broken (link failure, Nick submitted a patch).
>
> Now my questions are:
> - are tests for examples not supported?
> - is there a reason examples are not built in the build bots? (as
> everything that's not built tends to rot...)

This is the thread that setted the trend about not building examples by
default on the CMake build (for LLVM, Clang followed suit the same day):

http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.compilers.llvm.cvs/62243

Your report demonstrates that, after all, buildbot maintainers are on
the same boat as newbie users when defaults for build options are
considered :-)