[cfe-dev] Self build with LTO on OS X

Domagoj Saric domagoj.saric at littleendian.com
Tue May 17 08:35:44 PDT 2011

Should Clang be able to build itself with LTO/-O4?

Trying it with both 2.8 and 2.9 official releases fails at link time on OS X
10.6.7...

If this problem is the same as the general "LTO on OS X" problem, is
this/will this be solvable at all? Or will Mac Clang users simply have to
work with whatever Clang version (and accompanying system linker) Apple
provides them with?

I install Clang (first built with Apple's llvm-gcc) into /usr/bin (thus
overwriting the official one) which, I suppose, should be equivalent or
'better' than setting DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH (as recommended here
http://blog.mozilla.com/respindola/2011/03/04/lto-on-os-x and here
http://lists.cs.uiuc.edu/pipermail/llvmdev/2009-December/027709.html) but it
still does not work.

--
"What Huxley teaches is that in the age of advanced technology, spiritual
devastation is more likely to come from an enemy with a smiling face than