[cfe-dev] implementation of code completion and source code browsing for an IDE

Jared Low jared.low at ni.com
Thu Mar 24 16:53:16 PDT 2011

We are using Clang as our compiler, and I'm implementing code completion
and source code browsing, including:
goto definition
find all references to functions, variables, data types, and macros in
project
call graphs
list of functions, types, macros, and variables in project and each source
file
list of included files in each source file

I'm new to Clang, but in looking at the libraries, it seems I could use
the clangIndex library for the source code browsing and the clangFrontend
library for the code completion. The clangIndex library already has things
that I need like the declReferenceMap and the callGraph.

I also found libclang, which seems to provide a lot of the basic
functionality that I need as well.

My question is whether I should use libclang or the clangIndex and
clangFrontend libraries?

Thanks for any help.