[cfe-dev] Clang for Windows and Boost

John McCall rjmccall at apple.com
Fri Mar 18 18:56:56 PDT 2011

On Mar 18, 2011, at 5:41 PM, Ahmed Charles wrote:
> Does clang built with MSVC support exceptions? Or is it such that
> clang + windows = no eh support?

IANAL, but the conventional wisdom is that Windows SEH cannot be
implemented by arbitrary compilers because it is protected by
U.S. Patent # 5,628,016, issued to Borland and presumably licensed
by other compiler vendors.  Absent a generous grant of technology,
we will not be able to support EH on Windows until that patent expires,
which (again, IANAL) is on June 14th, 2014.

If you only care about interoperability with mingw, it apparently doesn't
work, but I don't really know what the issues are.

John.