[cfe-dev] Clang for Windows and Boost

Douglas Gregor dgregor at apple.com
Fri Mar 18 09:30:15 PDT 2011

On Mar 18, 2011, at 8:52 AM, Edward Diener wrote:

>>> Out of curiosity, what's the mingw exception model?
>>
>> Last time I checked, official MinGW was configured with setjump/longjump
>> while other distributions used DWARF2. The latter offers better
>> performance but fails to work when it has to unwind a stack frame that
>> belongs to a Windows function (that's the case when you throw an
>> exception from a callback.)
>
> I am stilling searching for the answer whether or not clang, built with
> MingW/MSYS under Windows, is currently a workable version under Windows
> with the header files and libraries MingW and gcc supplies. Do you or
> anybody know this ? Or should I still be waiting on future clang
> development for this to become a reality ?

It's not going to work perfectly out of the box, especially since we are missing exception-handling support for MinGW.

If you're willing to dig into the guts of the compiler, debug issues, and write patches, that's great. I don't know if it's a day's worth of work or a month's worth of work. But if you just want to use the compiler, I suggest using one of the better-supported platforms and hoping that someone else is going to do the work to make Clang viable on MinGW.

	- Doug