[cfe-dev] Building clang with MingW and MSYS

Óscar Fuentes ofv at wanadoo.es
Wed Mar 16 16:34:24 PDT 2011

Edward Diener <eldlistmailingz at tropicsoft.com>
writes:

[snip]

> Still it seems a build system should be able to build something from
> more than one setup without conflict. In Boost I can build any given
> libraries with different compilers never having to worry about where the
> final result end up or from where I invoke the build system.

That's because the boost build system always does an out-of-source
build, regardless from where you invoke the tool. And, IIRC, building
boost doesn't need configuration-dependent files generated on-the-fly.

The LLVM CMake build actually forbids in-source build, except for the VS
IDE.  (In-source builds for other generators are not allowed because the
hand-made makefiles distributed with LLVM would be overwritten)