[cfe-dev] ccc-gcc-name equivalent to call as and ld directly

James Molloy james.molloy at arm.com
Mon Jun 20 07:07:06 PDT 2011

Hi,

This comes back to the same as a previous conversation:
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.compilers.clang.devel/15299

Reliance on GCC to point the way to the correct assembler and linker makes
sense for Linux because of its heavily GCC-centric view of the world, but
seems more of a hindrance for cross-compilation development, both baremetal
and cross-OS.

I believe that Renato is incorrect in the behaviour he noted - Clang sets
the host triple based on the exec prefix, and will pull out the OS part so
use the FreeBSD Toolchain class instead of the GCC-oriented "Unknown" class.

Not only this but the default behaviour in not just the FreeBSD toolchain
but any other is to look for the bare tool name "as"/"ld" instead of first
trying a triple-prefixed version ("arm-none-freebsd-as").

Cheers,

James