[cfe-dev] XML generation via plugin API

Timothy McClory tmcclory at udel.edu
Thu Jun 9 13:06:06 PDT 2011

Our group is developing a tool that analyzes C code, and we would like to
leverage the robustness of the clang frontend.  I would appreciate any
feedback of our proposed approach:

Assume our tool is capable of dumping it's internal AST to an XML file, and
importing from an XML file.  Our plan is to write an ASTConsumer that will
output an XML representation of clang's AST that conforms to our XML schema.
 Our goal is to produce output similar to the (deprecated?) -ast-print-xml
option, though augmented with more detail such as preprocessor information.

I think that this could be written as a plugin, much like the
PrintFunctionNames example.  This is the question I am most interested in:
is writing a plugin the proper approach for the use case described?

Thanks,
Tim