[cfe-dev] libc++ and std::bad_exception

Howard Hinnant hhinnant at apple.com
Sat Jul 30 16:39:11 PDT 2011

On Jul 30, 2011, at 5:53 PM, Seth Cantrell wrote:

> I've observed some unexpected behavior with libc++ and exception specifications. libc++ seems to be calling std::terminate() even in a situation where it should not.
>
> I have a program with a function 'foo' that lists std::bad_exception in its exception specification, and a custom unexpected hander is registered which rethrows an exception. When 'foo' is called it throws a type not listed and so my custom unexpected handler is called. However, if I'm using libc++ then after my handler is called std::terminate() is called.
>
> My understanding is that these circumstances should lead to std::bad_exception being thrown and exception handling continuing normally instead of std::terminate() being called.

Your understanding is correct.

> Here's the program I'm using:
>
>> #include <iostream>
>> #include <exception>
>>
>> void custom_unexpected() {
>> 	std::cerr << "custom unexpected handler called\n";
>> 	throw;
>> }
>>
>> void foo()
>>    throw(std::bad_exception)
>> {
>> 	throw 10;
>> }
>>
>> int main (void) {
>> 	std::set_unexpected(custom_unexpected);
>>
>> 	try {
>> 		foo();
>> 	} catch (std::exception &e) {
>> 		std::cerr << "caught std::exception: " << e.what() << "\n";
>> 	}
>> }
>>

> Two commands I use to build this program were:
>
>> /usr/local/bin/clang++ -std=c++0x -U__STRICT_ANSI__ -Wall -Werror noexcept.cpp
>
> and
>
>> /usr/local/bin/clang++ -std=c++0x -stdlib=libc++ -U__STRICT_ANSI__ -Wall -Werror noexcept.cpp
>
> With the first build command the output of the resulting program is:
>
>> custom unexpected handler called
>> caught std::exception: std::bad_exception
>
> The program resulting from the second command (which uses libc++) outputs:
>
>> custom unexpected handler called
>> terminate called throwing an exceptionAbort trap: 6
>

> The result is also independent of whether I use -std=c++0x or not.
>

> version info:
>
> clang version 3.0 (http://llvm.org/git/clang.git 1e5b6f60e2e09addd2f2e915c87d8bd74d40c369)
> Target: x86_64-apple-darwin11.0.0
> Thread model: posix
>
> and I believe the version of libc++ I'm using is the built in one with Mac OS X Lion 10.7 (11A511)

Please file a bug report (http://llvm.org/bugs/) against libc++abi.

Because dynamic exception specifications have been deprecated, I do not know how much priority this bug will get.  But it is an open source project. So if people are excited about getting this right, it will happen.

> I'd like to test it out with the latest version of libc++ as well, just to be sure this isn't already fixed. Is there a recommended way to build and use libc++ without replacing the system's version?

To build, I like to cd into lib and type ./buildit.  You'll first want to:  export TRIPLE=-apple_.

To run, create an environment variable with: export DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH="where ever you put the dylib".  Mac OS will look there before it goes to the system places to load the library.  And I believe a -I to your test headers (on the command line) will take precedence over the system headers as well.

Howard