[cfe-dev] Switching http://llvm.org/demo to clang or providing a separate clang demo

Chris Lattner clattner at apple.com
Thu Jul 21 14:19:41 PDT 2011

>> This would be really really great, the demo page is long need for a rewrite.  FYI the right path to the demo page is here:
>> http://llvm.org/viewvc/llvm-project/www/trunk/demo/
>
> Thanks - I'd gotten the link (& started thinking about the demo page
> to see if it had 0x support, etc) from a recent clang checkin. It
> looks like it's a clang copy & there's this file:
> http://clang.llvm.org/demo/what%20is%20this%20directory.txt
>
> It seems like that directory's a bit redundant & rather than having a
> separate clang demo, we'd just update the llvm demo to use clang
> instead of llvm-gcc, yes?

yes, I had no idea we had a clang/demo.  We should just make it be the llvm demo page.

> I'm wondering what would be the most practical way to work on
> improvements. Small ones that don't require testing (if there's
> already support for one command line argument, say, then adding more
> shouldn't be painful/hard/risky) I can submit patches for & wait for
> them to go live, but I wouldn't want to burden the list with lots of
> patches as a means of developing/debugging/fixing changes when they go
> live. I guess it would be easier for someone with direct access to the
> machine to just hack at the script & check the changes live, then
> checkin the result.

I'd suggest copying this to "demo/index2.cgi" and leaving the original alone.  Hack it up all you want, and play with it live.  When you're happy with it, we can talk about switching it over as the default, replacing the old one.  Seem reasonable?

-Chris