[cfe-dev] Switching terminology from 'instantiation' to 'expansion' for macros?

John McCall rjmccall at apple.com
Fri Jul 8 00:30:04 PDT 2011

On Jul 7, 2011, at 9:10 PM, Chandler Carruth wrote:
> The only other term I've thought about is 'replacement' as that's what the standard uses in most cases. However, for diagnostics and thinking about how the preprocessor works, I actually find 'expansion' much more helpful. However, if others like the C standard's 'replacement' terminology, I'd be down with that. =]

I like 'expansion'.  Specifically, I like "expanded from macro here", or something like that.  I wouldn't try to call out specific cases of where the text came from;  there's a lot of value in having a consistent message for these, because users can recognize the shape of a macro-expansion note at a glance without having to actually read it.

It is not worth trying to avoid the name collision with variadic template parameter packs.

Thanks for doing this!

John.