[cfe-dev] Using clang built with MSYS/Mingw on Windows

Edward Diener eldlistmailingz at tropicsoft.com
Tue Jul 5 15:22:44 PDT 2011

I have been able to build clang using MSYS using the instructions on the
clang web site. Everything appears to have built correctly except for a
problem building the llvm sample program which I reported, and nobody
has responded to. So I will ignore the problem as I see I have a
clang.exe and a clang++.exe in the build/llvm/Debug+Asserts/bin directory.

I have a number of questions:

1) Do I need to re-run 'configure' followed by 'make' each time I get
the latest llvm and clang from SVN, or is running 'make' good enough.

2) How does clang find its headers and libraries ? In the clang User
Manual under "Operating System Features and Limitations" for Mingw32 it
says:

"MinGW32

Clang works on some mingw32 distributions. Clang assumes directories as
below;

     C:/mingw/include
     C:/mingw/lib
     C:/mingw/lib/gcc/mingw32/4.[3-5].0/include/c++"

This is a little confusing to me. When running clang, built through
MSYS, does clang understands Windows paths or does it need to be run
from within MSYS and therefore understand only Linux-like paths ? The
note suggests the former.

3) Can clang handle the Windows header files used by gcc in its include
directory as specified above ?

4) What is the difference between clang and clang++.exe ?

I do not mean to be critical because I know that many developers are
working to make clang better, but the online Users Manual is pretty
sparse in information, so I am hoping someone can help me here or point
me to better explanations.

I want to use clang to test out Boost libraries on which I am working. I
heavily prefer staying on Windows so I am hoping I can use clang there.
Thanks !