[cfe-dev] Proposal for thread safety attributes for Clang

Delesley Hutchins delesley at google.com
Fri Jul 1 09:56:34 PDT 2011

An extensible annotation framework would indeed be very useful.  One
of my long-term goals for the project is to implement something along
the lines of "pluggable type systems", e.g.

http://portal.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=1167479
http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.87.9425&rep=rep1&type=pdf

in which various forms of static analysis could be implemented as
independent "type-checking" passes which make use of annotations in
the source code.  Such a system would require an extensible annotation
framework, along the lines of what you are describing.

Our more immediate goal, of course, is to add support for a particular
set of annotations, and a particular form of analysis, which is
already used in a number of important projects here at Google.  Once
that has been implemented, we can look at how best to generalize it.

  -DeLesley

--
DeLesley Hutchins | Software Engineer | delesley at google.com | 505-206-0315