[cfe-dev] license question about source link to clang

asmwarrior asmwarrior at gmail.com
Thu Jan 20 17:22:53 PST 2011

On 2011-1-21 1:08, Chris Lattner wrote:

> On Jan 20, 2011, at 3:58 AM, asm warrior wrote:
>
>> If I implement a Codeblocks' plug-in which is statically link to the
>> libclang library.see:[1]
>>
>> As I know, the clang/llvm has a BSD like license, but as Codeblock
>> has GPLV3 license.
>>
>> So, my question is: If I would like to release the plug-in source in
>> GPLV3, is this possible? or there are some conflict?
>>
>> Sorry If I'm wrong.
>>
>> [1] http://forums.codeblocks.org/index.php/topic,14046.0.html
>
> I'm not a lawyer, but it is commonly understood that the LLVM/UIUC
> license is compatible with the GPL.  The FSF has a web page that
> discusses license compatibility somewhere.
>
> -Chris
Thanks Chris for the reply.

I'm not a lawyer either.:-)

I have found the FAQ
see:http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#WhatIsCompatible

but after reading for several hours, I still does no get the clean answer.
I know that LLVM/UIUC's license is compatible with GPL, but if my code
was statically link to libclang, can I publish the code under GPLV3 ?

This is the main point I still can't find under the FAQ.

thanks.

asmwarrior
ollydbg from codeblocks' forum