[cfe-dev] source-code representation of an Expr

Sam sam at cs.jhu.edu
Tue Jan 4 13:10:41 PST 2011

What is the right way to address the first condition in the code you
suggested?  I have been banging my head against my monitor long enough that
I now admit defeat.  I've been looking mostly at the APIs for
clang::Preprocessor and clang::SourceManager.  I've also read through the
Clang Internals document.

The bigger issue is that I'd really just like to understand how to properly
traverse the source-code representation of statements I encounter via the
AST in an efficient manner.  Ideally this would include the ability to
examine the source-code representation of a statement (or one of its
sublcasses) before or after preprocessing, e.g., before and after macro
expansion.

Here's what I know so far:
1. For an expression "Expr * e", I can retrieve its source range via
e->getSourceRange().
2. Using SourceRange::getBegin() I can call
SourceManager::getCharacterData()
3. From what I can tell, SourceManager::getCharacterData returns source-code
post macro-expansion.
4. If my expression doesn't contain any macros, the code that John McCall
suggested works fine for my purposes.  However, I am interested in a number
of cases where there are macros involved (specifically, I am looking at
function arguments, i.e., my "expressions", that contain macros).

Can anyone help?  I feel that Clang is likely capable of providing me with
the information that I want as-is, but I just can't figure this one out via
API intuition.  If it's not, I'd be glad to submit a patch to the API if
anyone can steer me in the right direction.

Thanks in advance,
Sam