[cfe-dev] Building Clang on MinGW

Matthieu Monrocq matthieu.monrocq at gmail.com
Sat Feb 26 11:22:11 PST 2011

Hello all :)

Since I don't have a proper Unix system yet, and since Visual Studio is such
a pain when it comes to Clang, I decided to try out MinGW.

I've properly installed MinGW, and I've followed the instructions at:
http://clang.llvm.org/get_started.html

I decided to begin simple, using `make` instead of `cmake`, but it fails:

>> make[1]: Entering directory `/d/llvm-build/tools/llvm-config`
>> llvm[1]: Regenerating LibDeps.txt.tmp
>> 'd:' n'est pas reconnu en tant que commande interne ou externe, un
programme executable ou un fichier de commandes.
>> nm failed at d:/llvm/utils/GenLibDeps.pl line 230.

(the French line means that apparently the script gets a "d:" command to
execute, which probably stems from a path issue, since paths on Windows
begin by the drive letter followed by a colon, though I don't understand how
this could be interpreted as a command instead of a path...)

The script line is:

>> close UNDEFS or die "nm failed";

which does correspond to the error message... however I am no perl user...
so I don't really understand what's going on here.

I'd appreciate some pointers from people using MinGW :)

Thanks,
Matthieu.