[cfe-dev] libc++ linking problem

Christopher Jefferson chris at bubblescope.net
Tue Feb 22 05:13:28 PST 2011

Recently I have found programs built with libc++ have stopped working recently, producing the message:

~/temp$ ./a.out
dyld: Library not loaded: /usr/lib/libc++.1.dylib
 Referenced from: /Users/caj/temp/./a.out
 Reason: image not found
Trace/BPT trap

Looking at otool I see:

Load command 10
         cmd LC_LOAD_DYLIB
     cmdsize 48
        name /usr/lib/libc++.1.dylib (offset 24)
  time stamp 2 Thu Jan  1 01:00:02 1970
     current version 1.0.0

Note the ".1" in the dylib name. This is not mentioned on the instructions on the libc++ homepage. If I use an older build of both clang and libc++, on another computer (sorry for the number of changed variables) I get:

Load command 10
         cmd LC_LOAD_DYLIB
     cmdsize 48
        name /usr/lib/libc++.dylib (offset 24)
  time stamp 2 Thu Jan  1 01:00:02 1970
     current version 1.0.0
compatibility version 1.0.0

With no ".1". Is this an intentional change, or might my computer be confused? If it is an intentional change, the instructions on the libc++ homepage should be changed.