[cfe-dev] RFC: visiting cursors "backwards" ?

Stefan Seefeld seefeld at sympatico.ca
Tue Feb 15 13:44:42 PST 2011

On 2011-02-15 16:17, Douglas Gregor wrote:
>> Thus: Is there a way to locate the previous sibling cursor for any given
>> cursor ? (This may be a null cursor, if the given cursor is the first
>> child of its parent. That's fine, as in that case I would start from the
>> parent's start location itself.)
> There's no way to do this, aside from walking through all of the parent's children again and keeping track of the previous child. We've generally avoided this since it will add another pointer to the size of every declaration node, and we try to keep the AST small.

OK. Hmm, I could indeed record "previous" cursors as I'm traversing the
AST, allowing me to access the comments at the same time as translating
the clang AST into the Synopsis ASG. That would avoid the need for
libclang to have to know anything about comment <-> declaration
associations.

(The reason I'd very much prefer to keep this away from libclang is
because these associations tend to be a matter of customization, and
hard to support on a low level. Consider this:

// E docs
enum E {
   e0,    //< e0 docs
   e1}; //< e1 docs

I think the meaning (and logical attachment) of the comments is rather
obvious. Yet, this is tricky to implement: Sometimes the comments
precede the declaration they are associated with, sometimes they follow
them. Sometimes they are even outside the parent cursor's range.

To support that inside libclang, one would have to parse the comment,
using specific rules and markup. I'd rather leave such markup choices to
the user who embeds documentation into his code.

So, I think I'd prefer to start by recording 'previous' cursors in my
own code.

Thanks,
         Stefan