[cfe-dev] OpenCL vec_step feature implementation

Benyei, Guy guy.benyei at intel.com
Tue Feb 15 07:20:16 PST 2011

Hello,

Attached our implementation for the OpenCL vec_step built in function (OpenCL 1.1 specs, 6.11.12), and a test for validating it.
We'd like to get your feedback, and eventually we'd like to contribute this code to the open source development trunk.

The vec_step function takes an expression or a type as argument, and returns 1 for scalar types, or the number of vector elements for vector types.
Since vec_step might take types as argument, it cannot be implemented as a standard function, it is rather similar to sizeof and alignof expressions. In this implementation, we take advantage of the existing SizeOfAlignOfExpr class and the functions manipulating it, and we add vec_step to this expression class.

I know that the SizeOfAlignOf name is not exactly right after this change; however I still think that this name covers the main feature handled by this class. Calling it SizeOfAlignOfVecStep would be quite long, and might get longer over time. We might change the name to something like UnaryOperatorWithExprOrType - still long and ugly, but generic. I'll be happy to get your ideas about the name.

Thanks
      Guy Benyei
      Intel
      SSG - MGP OpenCL Development Center