[cfe-dev] Source code cross reference tool based on libclang

Stefan Seefeld seefeld at sympatico.ca
Mon Feb 7 11:35:49 PST 2011

On 2011-02-07 14:03, Ehsan Akhgari wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> We're thinking about building a web-based source code cross reference
> tool based on libclang, which uses type information, call graphs,
> etc.  So before we start writing this tool, I wanted to ask you guys
> if you know of any such tool which is already available.  I have not
> been able to find one, but I'm sure that you guys should know about it
> if one exists.

Hi Ehsan,

I have been working on Synopsis (http://synopsis.fresco.org), which
started as a source code documentation tool (similar to doxygen), but
with many more features. In particular, at some point we introduced an
"SXR" mode (akin to LXR: http://lxr.linux.no). In contrast to LXR,
however, Synopsis / SXR will use actual type and symbol information for
the cross-referencing, so instead of just looking up via text matching,
Synopsis supports C++ symbol lookup.

I have been working on a new version of Synopsis that uses libclang as
its CPP/C/C++ parser, and hope to be able to announce a first version
with that new frontend soon after an LLVM version is released that
contains all the required bug fixes and feature additions to CLang that
Synopsis depends on. (I'm right now working off LLVM trunk.)

I'd be happy to discuss details concerning what features you are
interested in, to see how much of it is already supported, and how hard
it is to implement the remainder.

Thanks,
         Stefan

PS: Unfortunately the Synopsis website is partly broken right now, since
the old server was replaced and I haven't managed to set up and adjust
all the services yet that it relies on.