[cfe-dev] [clang] declspec(property...) advice

Argyrios Kyrtzidis kyrtzidis at apple.com
Mon Feb 7 10:15:39 PST 2011

On Feb 6, 2011, at 8:40 AM, Eric Niebler wrote:

> On 2/4/2011 4:00 PM, Eric Niebler wrote:
>> (resurrecting this old thread....)
>>
>> On 12/9/2010 5:16 AM, John McCall wrote:
>>> I'm a little worried about adopting our current representation for a
>>> C++-oriented feature.  Presumably we'd need to allow filling in default
>>> arguments, etc., plus a wide range of stuff that we technically have to
>>> support with ObjC++ properties but actually haven't gotten around to
>>> yet, like what happens when we're doing a compound assignment on an
>>> implicit property reference and the getter and setter have really
>>> different types.  Really I think this is an argument for improving the
>>> representation of all property expressions.
>>
>> Indeed.
>>
>>> My intuition here is to just rename OK_ObjCProperty to OK_Property
>>> instead of differentiating the two cases.
>>
>> Yes.
>>
>>> It can mean "this is an
>>> entity which can be both read and written to, but requires special code
>>> to do so".  The existing hook in Sema for loads
>>> (ConvertPropertyForRValue) can easily be modified to handle the MS
>>> properties, and we can make BuildBinOp check for OK_Property LHS's and
>>> just immediately defer to some better hook.
>>
>> And BuildUnaryOp for pre- and post-increment/decrement.
>>
>> Doug, I've found a compelling reason why at least setter methods cannot
>> be resolved until the point of use. Consider:
>>
>>  #include <cstdio>
>>
>>  struct T {};
>>  struct U {};
>>
>>  struct S {
>>    void setI( T ) { std::printf("T\n"); }
>>    void setI( U ) { std::printf("U\n"); }
>>    __declspec(property(put=setI)) int I;
>>  };
>>
>>  int main() {
>>    S s;
>>    s.I = T();
>>    s.I = U();
>>  }
>>
>> This prints:

>> Nasty, eh? I don't think the existing property stuff can handle this at
>> all, so like John, I feel this needs a major reworking.
>>
>> Any and all suggestions welcome. This has become my #1 priority, and I
>> want to make forward progress quickly, but I want to do it right.
>
> I'd like to share my current thinking on the property issue. I encourage
> any and all interested parties to jump in.
>
> Above, John McCall suggests modifying BuildBinOp to Do Something. I
> think that something is to programatically rewrite the AST into the
> appropriate getter and setter calls. Ditto for BuildUnaryOp. So for
> instance, for this code:
>
>  ++obj.property;
>
> when BuildUnaryOp gets passed a PropertyRefExpr and the
> pre-increment op code, it builds the AST for this:
>
>  obj.setProperty(obj.getPropery() + 1)

I'm not sure I understand why we have to have so expicit AST nodes, traditionally the nodes were as close to the source code as possible.
Can't we do semantic checking otherwise ? Do we need to simplify it to make it easier for codegen ?
One could argue that we should rewrite all
++variable;
variable = variable + 1;

-Argiris