[cfe-dev] exporting ASTs for Java

Stephen Siegel siegel at cis.udel.edu
Fri Feb 4 07:15:36 PST 2011

I am writing a Java program.   I want it to read in and manipulate a Clang-generated AST.   I am new to Clang, but from what I have learned so far, the best approach might be to have Clang export the AST in XML format (clang  -cc1 -ast-print-xml foo.c) and have the Java program read in this XML.  This will also require re-implementing many of the Clang AST classes in Java.     I was wondering if some of you experienced Clangsters can give me some advice...

Does this seem like a reasonable approach?

Where can I find some documentation on the XML representation of the AST?

Is there an XML schema for the Clang AST XML representation?

Where should I start looking to learn more about Clang's AST classes in general?

Thanks,

Steve