[cfe-dev] Premature EOF when reading binary file

Simon Peter speter at inf.ethz.ch
Wed Feb 2 07:47:30 PST 2011

Hi,

I'm using libc++ inside the Barrelfish[1] operating system, compiled
using g++ 4.4.5.

When reading a binary file using the read() method on a regular fstream
object, I sometimes get an EOF prematurely, e.g.:

     uint64_t actual_size = 1234;
     char *data = (char*) malloc(actual_size);

     fstream binary_file(file_path, ios::in|ios::binary);
     binary_file.read(data, actual_size);

This won't read the complete file into the buffer and sets the EOF bit
on the stream. The file is longer than 1234 bytes.

I tracked the problem down to the implicit cast in fstream, line 582:

     __c = *this->gptr();

In this case, this->gptr() returns a 'char *' to the next available
character in the input stream, while __c is an 'int'. The implicit cast
ends up converting the input character to -1 (a valid character in the
input stream), which coincides with traits_type::eof() and is thus
treated as an end-of-file indication.

I am unsure how to fix this and would be grateful for suggestions.

Thanks!
Simon

[1] http://www.barrelfish.org/