[cfe-dev] Building clang outside of LLVM (with CMake)

Garrison Venn gvenn.cfe.dev at gmail.com
Wed Feb 2 07:04:55 PST 2011

Yeah, I'm just thrown off by the original email to this thread where the phrase "llvm as
an external library" was used in the context of building clang. Also although its volitility is
small, there is a direct dependency of tblgen on clang given the clang specific tblgen
backends such as ClangASTNodesEmitter. Although these backends obviously do not
use clang libs, and their semantics are really concerned with expression tree like
concepts (in my view), this dependency could be fixed and then exploited if tblgen
could load backend plugins. There would still be build order issues for clang, but
the code would be self contained except for LLVM libs. However I'm off topic, so I'll
shut up now. :-)

Garrison