[cfe-dev] [LLVMdev] GIT mirroring

Jakob Stoklund Olesen stoklund at 2pi.dk
Tue Feb 1 13:54:31 PST 2011

On Feb 1, 2011, at 12:20 PM, Anton Korobeynikov wrote:

> Hello Everyone,
>
> It seems given the decent amount of discussions it's time to make
> small announcement.
>
> So, official git mirrors are available for some subset of LLVM
> projects. They were used by some LLVM developers for couple of months
> already and seem to be stable enough.

Thank you for setting this up, Anton!

This is how I use the Git mirror with git-svn:

For the initial clone and setup:

$ git clone http://llvm.org/git/llvm.git
$ cd llvm
$ git config --add remote.origin.fetch '+refs/remotes/git-svn:refs/remotes/git-svn'
$ git fetch
$ git svn init https://llvm.org/svn/llvm-project/llvm/trunk
$ git svn rebase -l

This will quickly build the git-svn metadata by using the magical remotes/git-svn branch fetched from the origin.

To update I run:

$ git fetch
$ git svn rebase -l

And to commit:

$ git svn dcommit
$ git fetch
$ git svn rebase -l

I have sometimes seen git-svn refusing to dcommit, claiming that I have uncommitted files in my tree. I think this happens when I forget to resynchronize the metadata after committing. Anyway, the solution is to wipe away all of .git/svn and rebuild it with "git svn rebase -l"

/jakob